Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Anyone interested in Pseudomugil gertrudae-Spotted Blue-eye?

Anyone interested in Pseudomugil gertrudae-Spotted Blue-eye?

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Anyone interested in Pseudomugil gertrudae-Spotted Blue-eye? Trying to grow out these fry's in my new tank setups! 8)

spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

They look cool and I'm interested in all pseudomugils. How much fry do you have? I had some aru II before but they all jumped out of a bucket when I was redoing my tank. Big mistake. I got 6 psuedomugil cf paskai right now that I'm trying to breed but no luck yet. Playing the waiting game right now. Maybe we can trade eggs in the future? :D

King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Sweet, I haven't seen those before what color are they red? I'll be interested in fry's or a breeding pair if your willing. I have about 30 fry's

spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Tropical Aquarium wrote:
Sweet, I haven't seen those before what color are they red? I'll be interested in fry's or a breeding pair if your willing. I have about 30 fry's

Yeah they are the red neon ones. Once I get some fry, we can trade. I can also just give you a mop of eggs once they actually spawn which I have no luck in yet. Do you have any other pseudos in stead of gerts?

KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Tropical Aquarium wrote:
Anyone interested in Pseudomugil gertrudae-Spotted ?

I am!

I just checked the MAS BAP data base. I've submitted at least 12 different bags of Pseudomugil to the MAS of fish that I'd spawned in my fish room. Most were different Pseudomugil species, some were location varieties.

Get live food going such a baby brine shrimp and white worms. Spawning success is quite low on the usual store bought foods.

Unfortunately I'm not keeping any now. They are usually quite short lived and I don't have the time available to keep a colony of them going long term.

Happy to answer a few questions though.
KenB

spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

KenB wrote:
Tropical Aquarium wrote:
Anyone interested in Pseudomugil gertrudae-Spotted ?

I am!

I just checked the MAS BAP data base. I've submitted at least 12 different bags of Pseudomugil to the MAS of fish that I'd spawned in my fish room. Most were different Pseudomugil species, some were location varieties.

Get live food going such a baby brine shrimp and white worms. Spawning success is quite low on the usual store bought foods.

Unfortunately I'm not keeping any now. They are usually quite short lived and I don't have the time available to keep a colony of them going long term.

Happy to answer a few questions though.

Oh man you keep all the good stuff! The only ones I'm able to get are gerts, furcata, cf paksai and signifer

King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Ken B - I'll try to create another topic with updates when they are ready to sex/trade/sell. What were your experiences and why do you say they are short lived? I think they should be able to live beyond their life span as long as they are constantly courting and of course good water conditions.

Spartan - Is your tank planted or bare? Any substrate? Do you use IAL's? I have about 6 frys that are a month old I'd say they are almost half a inch, wont be able to sex yet. In my shrimp tank I have about 25 frys that are several weeks old and apart, depending on when they hatched and some that are a few days old only. Funny thing is I don't use any live food at all and they also hatch with the parents uneaten in a well planted tank. I only just started to move them to my shrimp tank to improve success rate as I would have had more than triple 6 frys being a month old. My tank is heavily planted with lots of Indian Almond Leaves providing infusoria and floating plants for the frys to hide as they like to swim towards the top in the early stages. I was thinking of furcata or signifers next, but now that you mentioned the cf paskai I really want to get a hold of them asap!!! How many do you have and how many pairs? If you want we can maybe trade a pair, I don't mind frys but I just cant play the waiting game and would prefer to breed immediately lol

KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Tropical Aquarium wrote:
What were your experiences and why do you say they are short lived?

Short lived is just in their nature. Granted, there are some exceptions, but most live less than two years. Approximately the first six months is spent maturing, the middle year is prime, and the last six months is their declining time. A few of my fish have made it 3-4 years, but that is an exception. As soon as they hit sexual maturity, grab some eggs and start the cycle over. If you want to keep any of the Pseudomugil long term you have to be committed to always raising fry. All my schools aged out and have passed away. Changing interests and a busy family kept me from giving them the attention they needed to always raise fry and keep them going.

In comparison, I have groups of Melanotaenia right now that are four years old and in prime condition. They just live longer.
KenB

born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I'm still keeping P. ivantsoffi (Kopi River) which I got from KenB (Thanks Ken!). I don't keep records on individuals so I can't give you a lifespan. I think they live for a couple of years at least and I wouldn't call it short. But, of course, I keep killies too, so my perspective may be a little different.

I've been spending my "fish time" over the past months on the fish room rather than the fish so I haven't been collecting any eggs from them. I suppose I should before I find out there life span (or breeding span) are shorter than I think. My past success has been with mops in otherwise sparsely planted tanks; picking the eggs and putting in shallow trays. Then paramecia (or greenwater, when available) and microworms for the fry.
Andy

Your tanks aren't too small. Your fish are too big.

King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

KenB wrote:
Short lived is just in their nature. Granted, there are some exceptions, but most live less than two years. Approximately the first six months is spent maturing, the middle year is prime, and the last six months is their declining time. A few of my fish have made it 3-4 years, but that is an exception. As soon as they hit sexual maturity, grab some eggs and start the cycle over...

I see..

born ready wrote:
I'm still keeping P. ivantsoffi (Kopi River) which I got from KenB (Thanks Ken!). I don't keep records on individuals so I can't give you a lifespan. I think they live for a couple of years at least and I wouldn't call it short. But, of course, I keep killies too, so my perspective may be a little different.

How many do you have and are you looking to sell any?

born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I probably have 12 or 15 of them now. Not looking to sell now, but I will give them a mop and start picking eggs again so I may have some juveniles available by Spring.
Andy

spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Tropical Aquarium wrote:
Spartan - Is your tank planted or bare? Any substrate? Do you use IAL's? I have about 6 frys that are a month old I'd say they are almost half a inch, wont be able to sex yet. In my shrimp tank I have about 25 frys that are several weeks old and apart, depending on when they hatched and some that are a few days old only. Funny thing is I don't use any live food at all and they also hatch with the parents uneaten in a well planted tank. I only just started to move them to my shrimp tank to improve success rate as I would have had more than triple 6 frys being a month old. My tank is heavily planted with lots of Indian Almond Leaves providing infusoria and floating plants for the frys to hide as they like to swim towards the top in the early stages. I was thinking of furcata or signifers next, but now that you mentioned the cf paskai I really want to get a hold of them asap!!! How many do you have and how many pairs? If you want we can maybe trade a pair, I don't mind frys but I just cant play the waiting game and would prefer to breed immediately lol

I have 4 males and 2 females in a 20 long tank with just java moss, spawning mops, sponge filter and no substrate. Probably not a good ratio. no IAL. Maybe i should use floating plants as well. I think i might just hold on to mines for now because they havent actually spawned yet. Once they do spawn, i can give you a pair. I dont want to give away a pair that hasnt spawned yet. If you cant wait Forest Lake Pets has some for sale. 3 for 18 dollars isnt too bad.
Last edited by spartan381 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

born ready wrote:
I probably have 12 or 15 of them now. Not looking to sell now, but I will give them a mop and start picking eggs again so I may have some juveniles available by Spring.

Ill be intersted in some ivantsoffi once you are ready to give some away :D

King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Yeah you should have 2 females to 1 male, you can use cheap floating plants like duckweed if you need some I can sell it to you for cheap same with IAL.

born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

I've never had any issues with more or less 1-1 sex rations.

Thanks, but I've got plenty of duckweed I wish I could eradicate. If I wanted to use a permanent setup, I think my sprite would work much better but I prefer mops anyway and the fish don't seem to care one way or the other.
Andy

Next

Return to Community Fish