Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Lake Kutubu Rainbow dying

Lake Kutubu Rainbow dying

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm
IloveTOFU Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I purchased some rainbows 2 weeks ago and they have been fine. Acclimated and used to the planted tank, eating everyday, I added a few drops of liquid fert Seachem "Flourish" to my 37 gallon tank where the 5 rainbows were. The dosage should had been way under the recommended level but I have seen some other posts online with people saying the same thing, fish dying after seachem flourish was used. Others have never had this problem so it may have been just a coincidence however my rainbows are still dying. Ammonia and nitrates are 0 btw. 1 had died, 1 is in quarantine, and three are still healthy. Here is a picture of the one in quarantine.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a61 ... 575ad1.jpg

its colors are slightly faded and there seems to be a "bruise" mark near the end of its tail. If you guys could help this sick fishout, it would be great.

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:04 pm
spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

It looks like mycobacteria (Mycobacterium). My boesemani had it too. I dont think there is a cure for it, im sorry to say but you might have to cull that rainbowfish so it wont spread to the other fish.
Check these links out
http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewt ... =25&t=2389

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQhTD3adsos

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:45 am
IloveTOFU Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Unfortunately the one in the picture has died and 2 more Turquoise have started getting sick. They are quarantined but hopefully this disease hasn't spread to my boesemani. All of the boesemani appear fine, but that's never safe to assume with fish.

Now I'm just wondering if these rainbows were just genetically weak or was I just incapable of taking care of these fish. I've had boesemani and austalis rainbows for a while now and none of them have gotten sick.

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:27 am
spartan381 User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

IloveTOFU wrote:
Unfortunately the one in the picture has died and 2 more Turquoise have started getting sick. They are quarantined but hopefully this disease hasn't spread to my boesemani. All of the boesemani appear fine, but that's never safe to assume with fish.

Now I'm just wondering if these rainbows were just genetically weak or was I just incapable of taking care of these fish. I've had boesemani and austalis rainbows for a while now and none of them have gotten sick.

Rainbows imo can easily catch diseases from others in my experience. Im sure that the deaths was caused from the diseased fish that you recently bought and not your incapabilty of keeping them. Keep us updated. Hope the boesemani is fine, I almost cried when mines died lLol.

Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:18 pm
IloveTOFU Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

I just started working again and have been doing the best I can to take care of these guys. Spending 30 minutes to and hour just looking to see if there is anything strange. The last turquoise seemed fine and suddenly died one morning, which was around 5 days ago. There were no signs and it was very sudden. The boesemani seem to be hit by something as well. I just lost a male boesemani and I'm just like damn. Same "pattern" that the turquoise rainbows showed. Staying in 1 corner, stopped eating, slight color loss, then they'll start losing the ability to swim normally.

I need to start quarantining fish before letting them into the main tank. I never had this happen so I have been careless. This has been a painful lesson so I'll start properly doing this.

Return to Community Fish