Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Microctenopoma ansorgii

Microctenopoma ansorgii

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:32 pm
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Last winter I went in on an import order and got 6 wild juveniles about 1 inch. (Thanks Milo!) I raised em up and waxed em down and wound up with four males and two females. Put one pair in a heavily planted (including floating plants) 20 long and the rest in a 20 long with a lot of cover. Never saw any spawning action, but kept feeding them. Was recently thinking I should pass some along to someone else who might have better luck.

Yesterday, I dropped some pieces of red worm in with the pair and was very surprised to see a juvenile come out after a piece. Don't know if there are more in there, but it's nice to be surprised once in a while.

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:40 pm
Vashjir User avatar
Level 9 Member
Level 9 Member

Very nice, was it the pair tank or the 1m3f tank that had the spawn? I have 1m and 2f left after giving away a male, but they are in a tank with some rather vicious micro predators, so no babies till they get moved. A very cool fish imo.
Phil

MAS Promotions Chair
Bowl Show Chair
Board Member
phil.s.marlow@gmail.com

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:16 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Congrats on the mystery spawn. It's always nice to find those extra fry that you didn't realize you had. I had to google these fish, as I didn't know what they were- but wow. Very pretty! I have a soft spot for anabantids.

Post Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:44 am
born ready User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

And yesterday I noticed one fry; maybe 1/8 inch in the other 20 long which has 3 adult males and one female.

I wonder if these fish had just reached sexual maturity even though they've been full sized for several months or maybe, being wild fish, they still retain a breeding season. Whatever the reason, I suddenly have a yet unknown number of fry and juveniles to try to raise up. Experience with other anabantids tells me that even if the adults don't eat many fry, their larger siblings will, so I should either move all the adults to other tanks in hopes of starting new batches or remove all the plants and cover to try to net out all the juvies. Seems like catching the adults would be a lot easier, but if I don't move the juvies to more bare tanks, I can't really judge how much to feed and observe growth to see what's working. In their current tanks, sightings are pretty much accidental.

Post Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:56 pm
R10house Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I had 6 in a 55 gal. Eggs showed up on side of tank. Took all fish out and placed in separate tank. Ever heard of these fish breeding without plant cover and bubble nesting?
Currently have hundreds of tiny wigglers in the tank.

Return to Community Fish