Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Spawning rainbow fish and raising fry

Spawning rainbow fish and raising fry

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:10 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Last edited by vl2lx on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

tg MAS Board Member
MAS Board Member

I don't know what your reading list has included in preparation for this spawning attempt with M. ogilbyi, so I'll offer the following:

This is a 'sticky' from a forum about breeding rainbowfish: http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=289

and this is a sub-forum specific to ogilbyi; http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1990

and this is the address of the whole sub-forum about breeding rainbowfish, which may offer info about other rainbow species that is also applicable to ogilbyi; http://www.rainbow-fish.org/forums/view ... 24aa1e82b6

Here is the address of a different sub-forum about breeding various rainbowfishes; http://www.rainbowfish.info/forum/viewf ... 9e5450bde3

Finally, here is a link to a site where you can get a free download of Adrian Tappin's Rainbowfishes ~ Their Care & Keeping in Captivity as a pdf. It includes 40 pages of 'keeping and caring', 25 pages of 'breeding and raising', and 50 pages of 'foods and feeding' as part of 497 pages of rainbowfish info. http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Book.htm

Since ogilbyi are a newer species in the hobby there may well be some trick to spawning them. Good Luck!

Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

You might want to go onto rainbow-fish.org and pm Gary Lange (username rainbowfish). He is one of the premier rainbowfish collectors/keepers/breeders out there. In fact, Gary may have been responsible for bringing the Ogilbyi over to the USA- he has done several collecting trips to Papau New Guinea and Australia. My only thought is swap out the mops with some nice moss or fluffy plant, like guppy grass. They may also require more exacting water parameters then the more commonly kept species. Best of luck to you!

vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Last edited by vl2lx on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:13 am
Level 4 Member

A lot of the foprum is a bit inactive, but the regulars troll and will pop up to answer questions. Gary is very knowledgeable, he may seem a bit cold, but no one knows their stuff quite like him. I'd put a post on the general "rainbowfish" area. Odds are you will hear from at least a few of the regulars, be prepared to throw them tank parameters. I know Tao has bred Ogilbyi successfully, as he had offered eggs in the past. I had responses within a few hours on my questions. I'm curious to know what you have the egg hatching tank at temp wise? I have my first two pairs of M. Depai coming.

vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Level 4 Member

Will do! Maybe we can make a trade- my dewai for your ogilbyi!

vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Post Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:21 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Come again? Do you normally mix batches of different species of rainbowfish fry when you raise them up? If so, what species?

Congratulations on the spawn and thank you for the update.

vl2lx wrote:
Since these guys made me worked a little bit harder, I decided to keep these frys separated from my other rainbow frys so I can keep a good eye on them. :(

Post Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:56 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Last edited by vl2lx on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:00 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

vl2lx wrote:
What do you think? Should be ok? Btw, how are those M. splendida inornata of yours doing?

Ok for what? Feeders, yes. Fish that'll never-ever leave your house? Maybe. Establishing a reputation for yourself of someone others would like to trade or buy fish from? Sorry, not hardly.

You've gone to the trouble to find and spawn some nice fish that aren't all that common. They take a long time to raise up. You'll have lots of resources invested by time they're ready to go. Take the time to keep each species in their own tanks. They're only genetic value is now comparable to the $1.99 'Mixed Rainbowfish' tank at Petco. You might think you can separate them out, but you'll have to convince your buyers that you're a trusted breeder. As a buyer, I'm always looking for a trusted source first, actual species second. Though innocent sounding, this practice isn't trustworthy.

If you must mix, consider keeping Melanotaenia species with Pseudomugil. That's a safe move genetically.

The M. spelendida inornata - Adelaide River are doing well. Thanks for asking. After 3 years of waiting I'm finally getting fertile eggs. If you have a tank you can dedicate to them, I usually have a mop full of eggs to share. Warning, they require lots of patience!
KenB

Return to Community Fish