Board index Fish Talk Community Fish brown algae problem

brown algae problem

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:35 am
guppies999 Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

what eats brown algae? snail?
thanks

Post Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:46 pm
Jimbo Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Only way to get rid of brown algae is big water changes. Brown algae is caused by not doing enough water changes from my experience.

Post Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:59 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Brown algae is caused by diatoms- usually due to excess nutrients in the water. If you have a new tank, just relax. A brown algae breakout is a normal part of an aquarium settling in. Just keep up with your maintenance, keep your stocking levels light, and they will die down on their own.

If you have a mature aquarium with diatom outbreaks, I'm with Jimbo. Weekly water changes and a lighter feeding regimen will usually help a lot. If it's a planted tank, you may be over fertilizing a bit- you might want to check your nitrate levels to see where they are at.

Post Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm
Nzac User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

otto's eat it, bristlenose plecos eat it. I get it constantly, too much silicate in my water coupled with lights on for 8 hours a day for the live plants. I could get rid of the plants and then lessen the lighting schedule but don't want to, unfortunately my fish would eat ottos and bristlnose before they got much done so I wipe the diatoms away weekly just before my waterchanges.
I have some scaley and a few not so scaley creatures living in glass houses full of water in the other room

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:52 pm
King Crab User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I vote Otos as well

Post Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 pm
mccumber89 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

My gold nugget pleco loves it. Although in my experience... Other than a new tank... Light quality has played a big part. I've switched to new bulbs and if got better with more green algae. Don't always wait till the bulbs burn out to replace them. also I've had much better luck with LED lights.

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:38 pm
taiL Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

otos are a great choice. Nothing like buying a group, throwing them in the tank in the evening, and waking up to a crystal clear tank :D

Return to Community Fish