Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Red rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)

Red rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus)

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:06 pm
Phishy123 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I've been planning to buy two or three of these guys to add some color in my community tank. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these guys before?

Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

How big is your tank? They're a shoaling species, and are happiest in numbers, or when combined with other larger species of rainbowfish. 6 would be the minimum you would want to consider as the only rainbow in your tank. (That # goes for pretty much any shoaler)

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:15 am
Phishy123 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I have a planted 75 gallon with just barbs, ram pait and plecos

Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I would think 6 rainbows, or even a few more would be great in that tank. The only issue I can think of is that the rams tend to like soft acidic water, and rainbows are generally hard alkaline water fish. But they are far more forgiving of water params, since they have to deal with huge fluctuations in their habitats, including salinity changes, and other funkiness. You will see more fun behavior, and better coloration from the boys if you can keep them in goodly numbers. Good luck, I'd love to see pics when you get them!

KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Males are going to be red, females will be gold. Eventually they'll grow to be one of the biggest rainbowfish available. Most rainbowfish are known for being docile schooling fish, but not G. incusus. While not exactly cichlid aggressive, they're potential for aggression is known. G. pseudoincisus is a better choice (if you can find them). More brilliant red, smaller, and no aggression issues. Good luck.
KenB

vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Just wanted to toss in my opinion. I personally have not kept any Glossolepis incisus, but I do keep other types of rainbowfish. Like mentioned above, a school of 5 or more would definitely look much better but if you don't plan on breeding and just wanted to get a few for colors, 3 males (in my opinion) would be fine. If you wanted a trio of male and female, I'd recommend 2 male and a female. The male rainbowfishes don't show any aggression towards the female so 2m to 1fm works for breeding. That would give you better coloration with the males as well because they'd show off more.

Post Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 am
Servicesnw Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Ive head rosy reds in a tnak for a while now.. and they are all doing fin but today i realized a few of the look like the area around the head is swollen and is clear.. not all of them look like this.. any idea whats going on?

Return to Community Fish