Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Mystery fry, what do you think?

Mystery fry, what do you think?

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:55 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Well, I received an unexpected surprise this morning. I turned on the light on the 46, and low and behold. What was swimming in my tank? A tiny free swimming fry. No way this little one is from my corys. She (we will go with that for now) must have come in on one of my plants as an egg.

I have no idea what she could be at this point- any species of egg scatterer is a possibility at the moment. Naturally she shows up when my live cultures are just getting started. Thank goodness I bought brine shrimp cysts, and have decapped eggs on hand. Not sure if she is even big enough to take them yet.

I'm debating. Do I leave her in the big tank with the cories? She is up in the water column, no where near them. Or do I attempt to catch her and put her in the 10 gallon quarantine? I've kept it running and a bit dirty to kick start biofilm for the gularis fry I'm hoping to hatch.

What do you guys think?

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:01 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

IMO, the fry is fish food.
If my grandson were 4 yo and wanted to watch this fish grow out, a 2.5 gal tank would be grow out home.
Like a complete unknown

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:10 pm
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

:lol: I think your opinion meshes with my husband's, Bob. Still I'm going to give it a go, and use it as a learning experience for raising egg laying fry in the future. We will see how I do! Right now she is hanging out in a fry keeper in the big tank, so I can monitor feeding.

Return to Community Fish