Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Plant dieing due to fish

Plant dieing due to fish

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 am
xion0374 Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Need to know which one of my species is responsible for eating my plants.

I have:
redtail shark
tiger barbs
rose barbs
zebra danios
red eye tetra
angel fish

Everyday my plants are being torn or eaten piece by piece and looks like a caterpillar had swam down into the bottom the tank and starting chewing on my plants.

But yea I was wondering which one of my fish ate my plants.

Post Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:10 am
Shokubutsu-San User avatar
Level 12 Member
Level 12 Member

I can help eliminate some suspects from your list.

In my tanks over the years: Tetras, Barbs and Danios don't attack my plants. Some barbs even help out by eating algae off plants.

That leaves the angel fish and the red tailed shark.

The red tailed shark, Epalzeorhynchos bicolor, of course isn't really a shark but a very interesting shaped member of the carp family. That makes me think it could be responsible, since when I had goldfish, they ate up almost any plant. It's possible it could be that fish. I've never had that fish though.

I haven't ever had angelfish either, but I've heard they have a reputation for chewing up plants. So, that's the most likely suspect from what I've heard and read.

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:50 pm
IloveTOFU Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

google, not always reliable info but "Although the Red Eye Tetra may occasionally feed on aquarium plants, this can be avoided by regularly feeding the fish vegetable-based food." - http://www.critters360.com/index.php/re ... a-2-25372/

I still wouldn't say the tetras are the culprit yet, but its shouldn't be ruled out completely if something is eating your plants.

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:10 am
flamin Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

the real question is what kind of plant do you have. and what kind of lighting do you use

Return to Community Fish