Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Best rainbows for a 46?

Best rainbows for a 46?

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:37 am
Templeflower Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hey everyone. The 46 bowfront is home, and the background is setting up, which leads the mind to stocking.

I'd really like to try a nice shoal of rainbowfish in this tank. It's kind of an awkward size- the "normal" rainbows, like Boesmani would be too big, the little guys, like blue eyes and thread fins... too small. Over the years I have learned the important lesson to keep shoaling fish in proper numbers- 4-5 doesn't work. 9-10 is better, more is best when possible.

Co-habitants will include ancistrus, corydoras, and maybe some banjo cats.

Any suggestions for good "medium sized" rainbow species?

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:14 pm
too_stronk Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Kamaka or dwarf neon rainbow. They're the only ones I can think of that are bigger than blue eye and smaller than boesemanis

Post Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:12 pm
KenB Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

too_stronk wrote:
Kamaka or dwarf neon rainbow. They're the only ones I can think of that are bigger than blue eye and smaller than boesemanis

M. praecox have the advantage that both males and females have an over all blue shine to them. Males have red fins, females orange and clear. Though in pictures the kamakas look wonderful, I've never seen a good looking strain in person. I bred them once and moved on.

Post Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 am
Level 4 Member

Are you keeping rainbows right now Ken? If so which ones? Part of me would like to try some M. Ogilbyi. The wild strain is on aquabid from time to time. I like praecox, but like a lot of commonly available fish, (threadfins, boesmani, praecox) good color goes hand in hand with a good strain (and good health of course)- not always so easy to find. I have seen some eye poppers though, especially from the folks over on rainbow-fish.org. Gary Lange recommended getting some Mel. sexlineata Tabubil, which are so cool. But of course, hah! Not easy to find unless he is in town speaking.

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:40 am
vl2lx Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I bought some ogilby from Aqualand a month of so ago which they labeled as wild caught but I've no way to confirm. I did notice different sizes of the fish in the tank and different coloration so if thats any indication of being wild caught, they just might be. They were $15 a piece, which is a little spendy imo but that is their standard price for their rainbows. They are usually bigger in size at Aqualand than other places I've seen though. I've notice that they have a very nice full body shimmer when they're swimming directly under the light, which none of my other rainbows have. Mine were more greenish and small amount of pinkish red. When I went back a second time, the alpha male I saw in there had much more red, so the coloration definitely do vary. I don't see much of them so I don't have a standard to compare them to, but just wanted to let you know incase you wanted to go check them out.

Post Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:31 am
Level 4 Member

Thank you for the heads up! I think $15 a piece is the going rate at stores for M. Ogilbyi, it's certainly what they are asking on aquabid. I know the older rainbows get, the more intense the coloration, especially when they display. That may have accounted for some of the differences you saw- of course no rainbow looks it's best in the store.

Return to Community Fish