Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Silver Dollars!

Silver Dollars!

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:45 pm
tvang0226 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Hey guys! One of my silver dollars looks funny. Did a 20 percent water chance in my 120 and the next day one of the SD's fins turned black as if someone colored the tips of fin with a black market. No signs of ick or any sort of sickness. There is a school of 5 SD (2 red hook SD and 3 reg SD, all 2in plus). Sometimes they also have orange/black spot along the side of its cheek, does it mean its ready to mate? or is it just some mood thing? If its ready to mate, what is need to be done? There sharing the tank with a 2inch jardini aro and 3inch tiger oscar, doubt they are able to mate without babies being eaten. Anyways whats your exp with SDs?

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 pm
RookieMistake Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

If its the ones I gave you, they are the spotted SDs instead of regular SDs. Before you picked them up the one with the darker fin was chasing one of them. Just glad to hear they're not dead lolol

Post Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:41 pm
Titanpup Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Old post I know, but oh well.
My Silver Dollars also have some mood dependent color variations. My 4 are all over 5 inches and they tend to switch things up after larger water changes. They also have some fin darkening when they prepare to spawn. Good luck with any spawning as they scatter their eggs and if you have any bottom dwellers they'll be gone. I've never even been able to see eggs in my 180 with a pleco, Lima cat and pictus cat in there.

Return to Community Fish