Board index Fish Talk Community Fish Soliciting advice on a future 75g build

Soliciting advice on a future 75g build

Anabantids, characins, ciprinids, rainbows, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:54 am
rawalstrom Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I'm planning a modified Orinoco biotope for the future and am interested in comments/suggestions/critiques/and helpful hints.
The tank list consists of:

75 gallon tank

water ph ~ 5.5 - 6.5
water temp ~ 82 F

eheim 2126 pro II thermofilter w/spray bar
hydor circulation pump(s?)

dark sand
driftwood
pink granite

moonlight - in tank mount and waterproof
t5 48x2 - 2 (6500k x 2 and 6500k + colormax)

water lettuce - pistia stratiotes
red amazon swords - echinodorus sp. 'red special'
tiger temple plant - hygrophila sp. 'tiger'
brazilian pennywort - hydrocotyle leucocephala

green laser cory - 4 - corydoras aneaus sp. 'green laser'
orange laser cory - 4 - corydoras aneaus sp. 'orange laser'
huarani oto - 10 - otocinclus huaorani
electric blue ram - 4 (2 pair) - mikrogeophagus ramirezi sp. 'electric blue'
cardinal tetra - 20 - paracheirodon axelrodi
purple tetra - 20 - hyphessobrycon metae
marbled hatchetfish - 10 - carnegiella strigata

*maybe*
L-129 orinoco zebra pleco - 1 - hypancistrus debilittera

*back-ups*
rummy nose tetra - hemigrammus rhodostomus
green neon tetra - paracheirodon simulans

I want to do a low-tech/lower light set up so I went with plants requiring lower doses of co2 and light. I will probably be dosing my tank with Seachem Flourish and Flourish Excel to help boost the plant life. The modified component comes in when I introduce the hybrid plants and the color variations of the corys and rams.
Is there any concern that I would be over-stocked?
Is my filtration adequate?
Anything else I should be worried about?
Ryan

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson

nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

It's always nice for me to see someone starting up a planted tank. Some thoughts came to mind while reading through your post.

This looks like a two bulb fixture but the parenthetic notation looks like you have two 6500k bulbs and one colormax. 108 watts of t5 ho on a 75 should be good but 162 watts is starting to get into a high light situation.

"moonlight - in tank mount and waterproof
t5 48x2 - 2 (6500k x 2 and 6500k + colormax)"

162 watts of t5 ho will definitely benefit from CO2 injection.

I don't know if you plan to plant heavily with your listed plants (more is almost always better when it comes to a planted tank) but your saving grace might just be the water lettuce which will soak up a lot of nutrients and block some light. Flourish is mainly a source of micro nutrients. It does have nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate (macro nutrients) in it but in very small quantities. Which might be ok if you maintain a low plant density. You will also gain some nutrients from fish waste and decomposing food and other organics. It may not be enough if you plant heavily. As I see it, the main drawback of Flourish is that you are paying mainly for water with only a few ferts in solution whereas a year's (apprx) supply of powdered ferts can be delivered to your door for around $25.

Flourish Excel is also a good product in that it can be used as a supplemental carbon source. It has the added benefit of being detrimental to algae. To use it as directed in a 75 gallon will get expensive in a hurry. Excel is about 1.5% glutaraldehyde and one can get a gallon of glutaraldehyde from various medical supply businesses delivered to your door for about $30. The product I ordered last month was 3.4% glutaraldehyde and cost $30 including shipping. It is the equivalent of two gallons of Excel for $30.

You filtration should be fine but 72 or 73 fish, even though small, seems like a lot to me. Others may disagree. The Eheim 2126 is rated at 261 gallons per hour which should be adequate. I like that it has an integrated heater because that is one less unnatural item in the aquarium.

I would recommend doing some reading on low tech, natural, or walsted type aquariums if you are looking for a low maintenance or no CO2 approach. Good luck and have fun.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Level 3 Member

Thank you so much for your input! You may have just saved me a lot of money when it comes to dosing my current and future tanks.
I loved the look of planted tanks so much that when my wife and I got our first tank, we planted immediately. Now, I won't have an unplanted tank again.
Thank you for the correction of my parenthetic notation.
It should have read; (2x) t5 48 x 2 - (6700k + 6700k) and (6700k+ colormax)
In regards to the lighting, do you think it would better to cut it back to two t5 6700k bulbs? One would be placed at the back of the tank where the spray bar will help push the water lettuce forward and allow light down to the rear of the tank where most of my plants will be situated. The other would be placed at the front to keep the water lettuce happy.
For the number of fish, it's just the number that I was hoping to get away with, probably not what I would ever stock in there.
Ryan

nkambae User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I think two bulbs should be sufficient for your 75 especially if you plan to go without pressurized CO2. Either both 6500K or one colormax and one 6500K whichever you find most pleasing to your eye. I think 162 watts of T5 HO will require CO2, ferts and dense planting to avoid algae issues. But having many floating plants can lessen the impact of intense lighting. Enriching your substrate can be beneficial too. Some folks use dirt, some use root tabs and still others use a product such as or similar to Osmocote. The most important thing to remember is that it should be a fun, learning experience for you. Do lots of reading and ask lots of questions and I am sure you will have some good success.

stu
Who is John Galt?

Fortune User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Just curious how your tank is going. If you decided to go with a heavily planted tank make sure you have your spray bar below the water line. You don't want extra oxygen going into the water from the surface agitation.

Level 3 Member

Oh heck, I don't have space for a 75 gallon in my one bedroom apartment (though I wish I did!) because the one available corner already has the 65 gallon. This tank will be going into a house whenever my wife and I get around to buying (or maybe even renting) one of those.
Also, this tank has now become a riparium in planning.
I will have emergent, immersed, and floating plants.
The emergents will be held in planters that hang/stick to the back.
The water level will be 5-6 inches below the edge of the tank, giving me about 60 gallons to work with.
The tank will be rimless. (I plan to de-rim it)
I nixed the tetras.
And above all, I am hoping the hatchets will stay in the tank with the lower water level and the plant coverage despite the fact that the tank will not be covered.

Ryan
Ryan

Return to Community Fish