Board index Clubs & Events MAS Annual Tropical Fish Show Decoys

Decoys

Info regarding the MAS's annual Tropical Fish Show each spring.

Moderators: Moderators, MAS Board

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:57 pm
Roughfisher User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I am keeping southern redbelly dace. I would like to show them, but their colors can vary from minute to minute. One minute they are a tan-colored fish with black horizontal stripes and transparent fins, and the next minute their bellies are bright crimson and the fins are lemon-yellow. I would like to show my fish in their best coloration possible.

Dace respond to other dace in breeding condition, and display their best coloration when they see red-colored fish in their vicinity. I know it would be against the rules to have a cherry barb or a neon tetra in the same tank, but what about a non-living "decoy" to stimulate my fish to display its best spawning coloration? I was thinking a stylistically painted and epoxy-sealed version of a brightly-colored fish to bring out the color in my show specimen. Is this against the rules?

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:55 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

First a bit of digression.

Judges cannot be controlled by rules. Judges will judge based on many factors that are not on the judging sheet. Thus one judge may dislike a decoy and give lower marks to an entry. Another judge may not take notice of decoy and accept it as tank decor. This is human nature and if we want humans to judge our show we must accept this.

Judges are not supposed to award extra points because one fish is in breeding colors and other fish is not. Judges probably due give the more colorful fish of same species more points though. A judge could say it reflects better fish keeping. The colors must be true to the species in question.

Last year there were five entries in Native class, so any fish only needs to beat five entries if odds hold.

The time honored method of inducing color in fish is to train fish at home to flash color at a fish in a second tank. Both fish are entered with tanks next to each other. Cardboard is placed between tanks until judging time. Then cardboard is removed. Many judges are aware of this and will pull cardboard themselves to as to see the fish display.

OK, now I will tackle the decoy question.
If the decoy does not detract from the entry itself then decoy will be allowed.

Examples of tank decor that will result in disqualification based on distraction include floating and sinking Barbie dolls, Ken dolls, small plastic vehicles such as boats, decor with the color hot pink and other distracting colors, beer cans and bottles.

Those who feel the need to be creative, look to creative division not to classes in other divisions.
Like a complete unknown

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 pm
Roughfisher User avatar
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Actually, the second tank might work even better. I'll experiment.

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:51 pm
saltydapleco User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Examples of tank decor that will result in disqualification based on distraction include floating and sinking Barbie dolls, Ken dolls, small plastic vehicles such as boats, decor with the color hot pink and other distracting colors, beer cans and bottles.

:oops: I promise I will not let Amy enter any of the above this year. I really didn't know it had all been washed in bleach iwthout rinsing and was popisonous (dead fish) Though I don't think a Ken doll was in there. I know Barbie was. Along with a menagerie of Dr. Seuss stuff from "the Cat in the HAt"

I think she is bringing her usual beast.

Can I split a ten gallon with a divider? It would be two fish of the same genus/species. They show best when they are attempting to attack each other. At home they react better through a divider than through the glass.
Divider would be of the cutout ceiling grid material since the slate divider and the plastic mesh I used in previous years kept falling over.
President and founder of the "MN Moss Ball Society"
Need caves? www.saltysdigz.com local prices are lower than those listed.

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:42 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

saltydapleco wrote:
Can I split a ten gallon with a divider? It would be two fish of the same genus/species. They show best when they are attempting to attack each other. At home they react better through a divider than through the glass.
Divider would be of the cutout ceiling grid material since the slate divider and the plastic mesh I used in previous years kept falling over.

Yes.
They could be entered as two seperate entries or left as one entry with judge determing which fish to judge. IMO, entering as two seperate entries is preferred.
Like a complete unknown

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:39 pm
saltydapleco User avatar
Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

I'd do them as two separate entires since they love to compete. :twisted:
President and founder of the "MN Moss Ball Society"
Need caves? www.saltysdigz.com local prices are lower than those listed.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:45 pm
copeina User avatar
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

saltydapleco wrote:
:oops: I promise I will not let Amy enter any of the above this year. I really didn't know it had all been washed in bleach iwthout rinsing and was popisonous (dead fish) Though I don't think a Ken doll was in there. I know Barbie was. Along with a menagerie of Dr. Seuss stuff from "the Cat in the HAt"

I must confess I was an accessory to the crime.

The lipgloss in the Strawberry Shortcake doll may have also contributed to the rapid decline of the tank's living inhabitants. :shock:

See you all soon!
/Kris

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:21 pm
Elgonte User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I expect there to be more than five native entries this year.

Post Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:50 am
kretty Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Hopefully if i get my tank up and running i can show my prospective bass and northern pike.

Return to MAS Annual Tropical Fish Show