Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video shellie 75

shellie 75

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Tank has only had plants in it for a week now
There are Neolamprologus similis in two different shell beds and 9 Cyprichromis Leptosoma

75 shellie.gif

Post Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:17 pm
exinme Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I like that black sand with shells.

Post Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:13 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I still need to put a background on the tank, just don't know what I want to put there

Post Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:13 pm
fasttalon94 User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

Snake1oz wrote:
I still need to put a background on the tank, just don't know what I want to put there

Paint it black. I've done that on all my tanks, love it.
If you don't put a location in your for sale ad that must mean you're willing to deliver.

Post Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

If your cyps are behaving OK, I would not change a thing. When breeding Cyps create a 3 dimensional box in open water. To accomplish this, the male must orient himself to something unique like a tall plant or in Lake Tanganyika rocks that are up in water column where invisible 3 D box is. When male is oriented, he will show female the confines of box.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

The cyps are hovering right over the top on one of my shell beds that has fry so the male Simils is constantly having to chase them away. I could move them to a different tank to calm the tank down a bit.

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:15 pm
Level 20 Member

I would not move the Cyps. I would place taller structures in the tank, like pieces of slate that are 18" tall or rocks that are about that height, either one rock or a pile of rocks. At that point, Cyps can hide under slate or on opposite side of a rock pile. I doubt male L. similus would chase them there as he could not see them and he would not want to leave shell bed to search for them.
The downside is your tank has a nice look now and adding structures inside the tank will change the look. That would be a good reason to move the Cyps.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:40 pm
Snake1oz Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Thanks for the reply I will probably move the cyps to a different 75, is there some other fish you would recommend to go with them. I did some research but seems like there is so many ideas of what to keep with them and what not to keep.

Post Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:58 am
Level 20 Member

Keep Tanganyika cichlids with Cyps.

Altolamprologus calvus and compressiceps are not as territoral as Neolamprologus or Lepidolamprologus species. Smaller Neolamprologus would probably be OK.

I like Julidochromis and they are not so expensive, any species in this genus should work. When breeding, a Julie male from the larger Julie species could harass Cyps, depends on the individual male. Dwarf Julies be a safer choice.

Maybe the best would be sand sifters like Xenotilapia species and other species that stick to the sand bottom. X. melanogenys are my favorite but there are many species. They are not territorial like Neolamps but males will clash over breeding grounds. Lots of colors then. Unfortunately, these species are usually expensive.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Photography & Video