Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video shellies and planted tank

shellies and planted tank

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am
twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

I was posting on shelldwellers.com so I thought I would post on our local forum too. It's my little aquarium corner that I'm allowed to have in the laundry room :D
Attachments
planted 75.jpg
aquariums.jpg
multies closeup.jpg
multies.jpg

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:10 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Shell dwelling cichlids are fun to observe. I hope there is a chair in the laundry room for viewing.

Colonies consist of 1-3 males and no more than 5 females of breeding size. 10-12 juveniles are allowed to remain in the colony before being driven away. Not all juveniles are allowed shells to live in, the youngest juvies will be in female parent shell.

You may want to consider a shell bed of 15 shells max on one end of an aquarium and a similar 15 shell bed at another end. A 20 gal long may not be long enough, 36-48" apart would likely be enough to allow two independent beds.

It would be interesting to watch two independent groups of same shell dweller species interact even if just to establish boundaries within the tank.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:43 pm
twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Originally, the multies were in the 75 and the planted tank and its inhabitants were in the 20L. The multies don't utilize the upper portion of the 75 so I stocked it with guppies and floating guppy grass. One by the one, the guppies disappeared. So I removed the guppies, but didn't like how the upper portion of the tank was so empty. I also received a 48" Finnex 24/7 light for Christmas so I ended up flip flopping the two setups.

I have 5 bigger multies, 3 males and 2 females. Two pairs formed and they produced several babies in the 75 for me. I have not seen babies since I moved them to the 20L. I will have to work on reducing the colony. I've just been so consumed with the planted tank lately :D

Post Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:23 pm
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

In the smaller tank, there is room for one colony. Only one male will breed with all females in the colony. However, there are now two alpha males in one colony. I imagine they are fighting and when they find fry from another male, they will eat those fry. They may also attempt to drive females mating with other males away from shell bed.

As fighting continues, it is likely there will be sure losers. These defeated fish may cling to the top rim of tank attempting to escape or attempt to hide anywhere in the tank. I suggest netting them out.

If you went back to 75 gal in future, consider adding Cyprichromis to tank. Cyps live in the water column and not on the substrate.
Like a complete unknown

Return to Photography & Video