Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video Pseudotropheus sp. acei Itungi aka "Tanzanian Black"

Pseudotropheus sp. acei Itungi aka "Tanzanian Black"

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Tanya User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Aceis are great, relatively peaceful, yet large enough not to get bullied by other mbuna. Plus they are not skittish and like swimming in open water, bringing their tank mates out of the rockwork and keeping everyone calm. They can stand up for themselves if needed, my acei male was provoked by my saulosi male for some time, so eventually acei chased saulosi away and now they mostly ignore each other. Fourth picture down is acei all fired up chasing saulosi. Males of this species can show quite a bit of blue in the face/head when agitated/excited.

loverland User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice photos, as always. I had a large group of these many moons ago, and they were easily the most prolific breeders I've ever owned. One spawn alone had 145 fry. I messaged Ad Konings about this, and he said that was the most mbuna fry he had ever heard of!

Tanya User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thank you. Acei are definitely the most prolific mbuna breeders in my experience as well. Don’t think I’ve ever gotten close to 145 though, as far as I can remember my largest brood was around 120, the last female I stripped wasn’t full grown but still had 70. The fry however are on the small side as far as mbuna fry go. So one of the larger mbuna species ends up producing some of the smallest fry, but lots of them. I suppose that’s one way the species can develop to survive in nature. Still every time I get very large batch of fry I can’t help wondering as to how they all fit in there. They must’ve been packed like a can of sardines, yet the female managed to keep so many of them alive, pretty cool.

A few more pictures.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

excellent photos
Like a complete unknown

Tanya User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Thank you Bob

GIUSEPPEWATS9 User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member