Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video Tank Shot - 125 Gallon Mixed Tropheus Tank

Tank Shot - 125 Gallon Mixed Tropheus Tank

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Came down to this Sunday morning - just got the tank on June 5th (used from a LFS).

Fish are back into the original 125 Gallon that I setup for the fish I had already ordered (canceled those asap). So things are back up in the air, gotta get this one cleaned up and hopefully can find someone who is willing to sell and deliver a 125 gallon for a discount.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

That is a disaster. I have known guys that quit the hobby after these incidents.

Do not have any empty tanks to loan or sell but I sure hope some good luck comes your way.
Like a complete unknown

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I guess I was lucky in the sense that it happened on a weekend. If I would have lost all my stock I'm pretty sure I would have at least taken a break. Having a Tropheus tank has been my dream ever since I got into the hobby but was renting for years and could never properly house them.

Still looking for a tank, my problem is that I have no way to get a large tank myself so have to look for someone willing to deliver and it's not like I live all that close to most people.

Level 20 Member

You could rent or borrow a truck.

A non leaking standard 125 should sell for about $200 used. That is tank only or maybe with glass tops too.

Consider calling Forest Lake for a new tank price quote.
Like a complete unknown

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Found someone who went through a tank disaster too (reef setup, went on vacation and there was a power outage, not all her equipment turned back on, came home to total disaster) and she was getting out of the hobby so delivered an Oceanic Tank and stand. Never realized it before (even though my other 125 gallon is an Oceanic) how much thicker glass Oceanic is to an All Glass tank, I didn't get any glass measurements but its extremely noticeable how much thick this glass is so I feel rather confident. Also I now have two Oceanic 125 gallon tanks and it seems that they are a hobbyist favorite.

I just have water in the tank right now, the inner dimensions are slightly shorter then the All Glass so I'm having the 3D background cut once again. And since the person doing the cutting is doing me a favor I'm trying not to rush him even though I'm rather eager to get this tank back up and running so I can finally get my other 125 gallon setup with Clown Loaches and a Gold Saum.

Just thought I'd throw out a verbal update to the tank disaster. Pictures will be posted of getting the new tank setup once the 3D background is cut.

Level 20 Member

Best of luck with used Oceanic. Used to be my favorite tank.

Then glass that holds sides from separating separated on 180 gal tank. All Glass purchased Oceanic and would not honor the warranty. Eventually, I showed All Glass the error of their ways and received compensation but one needs to be the original owner of tank for a valid warranty.

I gave that tank away. The guy who picked it up explained his method of creating a new brace that would allow the tank to be used in the future. Smart guy.
Like a complete unknown

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

So far I've had really good luck with the Oceanics, only time will tell though. Even though I had a bad experience with an All Glass tank, I can't really dislike them outright as it's my first real tank leak when I've been in the hobby for 10ish years now (wow how time as gone by so quickly!).

Got the Tropheus into their new tank on Friday of last week. Oddly enough the Oceanic inner dimensions were slightly smaller then the All Glass which made it so I had to get the background recut which was the delay. Had him trim it down another inch and if I had to do it all over again, I'd have him do another inch and a half. Because of this I had to use some of the larger/heavier rocks to lay back against the background to help hold it in place. I ordered another couple of pounds of rock just so I can put some rock out in the front so not all the rock is in the back - trying to balance out the rock and all. This time around I went with 3 rock formations mostly due to holding the background in place, seemed to do better with another large rock in the middle.

https://youtu.be/Zk-OR9eDMyc

I am rather happy with how hardy these Tropheus have been through this whole ordeal. They have been moved around from tank to tank and as you can see, they colored right back up in the new home and are eager to eat. Never having kept Tropheus before I can only contribute my success to going the slightly overstocked route on these guys. When I just sit down to watch them they are aggressive little guys and I can see first hand how if you don't have enough to spread out the aggression that there will be issues.

Level 20 Member

Congrats on keeping Tropheus alive.
Like a complete unknown

mister malcontent User avatar
Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Pm'd
"I caught a falling star...It cut my hands to pieces"

Previous

Return to Photography & Video