Board index Other Stuff Photography & Video Tank Shot - 125 Gallon Mixed Tropheus Tank

Tank Shot - 125 Gallon Mixed Tropheus Tank

Show off your fish photography and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

All fish are between 1-2" give or take.

10 Ikola
15 Red Rainbow
15 Nkonde

This is one of Mrmann's tanks that Mister Malcontent was so nice to deliver and the Ikola are from 1-2ride.

Thanks you guys as I have always wanted to keep Tropheus and thanks to you three I am now doing just that :D

twinsfan Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member

Nice setup! Is the driftwood floating or fixed there on the right?

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Fixed with light fishing line. Can't really see it unless you know it's there and look for it.

mrmann Level 8 Member
Level 8 Member

Looks great!

lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I am glad you got your tropheus. Good luck with them.

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

lifelinefish wrote:
I am glad you got your tropheus. Good luck with them.

Thanks!

I noticed you were selling off your stock, what are you changing to?

lifelinefish Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I'm going to give South Americans1 a try. I don't have a stocklist yet. Still in the research phase. Envious of your tropheus, one of my favorites but just couldn't master keeping them alive. I gave up. You're starting off right by keeping a large group, I think that's one of the main requirements to keeping tropheus. Best of luck!

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Please keep posting as Tropheus grow out.
Like a complete unknown

mxiong036 User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Nice tank setup.
Reach me at bassassin036.com I check my email 24/7

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Making some changes to this setup in the next few weeks. Moving the Tropheus to the living room (and putting a tank in the living room) to kind of be the focal point of the house. Also switching to lighter sand and a 3D Background (this should lighten things up some and hopefully cause some colors to pop). I'll also be going with a straight rock for decor, might add some more rock work after I set it up if I don't like it, usually have to set something up, look at it for awhile and then I'll decide.

Anyways, wanted to take a little clip of what the fish and setup look like now (haven't touched the tank setup since the original image was posted). I'll post a pic of what the new tank looks like and then a short clip again of the fish after they have been in it for awhile to compare.

https://youtu.be/mT5WIcnYUNg

Level 20 Member

Plan sounds good. Watch for a male taking ownership of a rocky area and dening other fish access to the area. Do what you can with decor to prevent that.
At present your Tropheus look healthy and growing. Congratulations.
Like a complete unknown

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I'm taking things slow because I want to get them right. I have a bad habit of getting excited about a new tank and rushing through and sometimes settling for things I wish I would have done differently. Which is a good thing because there have been some delays in this tank that I haven't encountered in other setups.

Delay #1

In the past I have used 3D backgrounds from Designs By Nature, I love their slime line backgrounds so was looking to purchase again from them. But their site is down so I'm not sure if they went out of business or what so I had to look elsewhere for something. I came across Universal Rocks and picked up their crevice background. I read some reviews that it was a bit difficult to trim down to size, ooohboy is that an understatement. Nothing I had could cut the dang thing - scissors, utility knife, box cutter, xacto knife. So I brought it over to my brother's house who has all sorts of hand saws and his neighbor happened to be over and in the end his neighbor took it into work to get it cut (he works at some machine type shop) - basically I got it professionally cut. If I had to do this over again I would have had it cut a little shorter then the actual measurement I took, lesson learned.

Delay #2

The stand matches perfectly with my built ins, so I love that. However it came without the cabinet doors installed but had a bag of mounting brackets. I didn't think anything of it because installing mounting brackets is an easy thing to do, so I kept them in the bag until I was on this stage. I was on this stage last week - the mounting brackets in the bag were a mix of new and old, mostly new and they didn't mount the doors correctly. So I went to the hardware store and picked up some other type of brackets (inverse then the ones that came with the doors, so they extended out the other way) and these still weren't going to work because of the border design on outer cabinet so I'm still not sure what I'm going to do here.

Delay #3

I bought an FX-6, have had an FX-5 on another tank in the past so am very well versed on how to set this up, clean it, etc. Didn't even occur to me that the tank stand is too short to house it under. Not really a delay, but I had to put it to the side of the tank and since this is in my living room I don't really want to have a canister filter out sitting about. So I'm going to be looking through Craigslist Ads to see if I can't find a cabinet/TV Stand/etc. that at least somewhat matches that I can use to put the filter into that to hide it. It's right under a window so I'm thinking I can then put a nice green plant on top of the stand and it will actually look pretty darn good.

Delay #4

I haven't even addressed this one yet. I don't have much experience with canopies for tanks, I had one years ago and it sat on the tank on three sides (front and both sides) leaving the back open so you can place filters where ever you wanted on the back. The wooden canopy I have isn't like that, it has it so it sits on the tank on all four sides with a little cut out in the back for filter equipment, the problem is that the cut out is on the other side of the tank. So I either need to make another cut out on the other side (which would mean another trip to the brother's house and his many saws) or completely take the back section off leaving the back open like the other canopy I had was like - looking for opinions on this one as I don't know how wooden canopies are mostly setup.

But here's the tank after just filling it with water, can see how it matches nicely the door in the background.

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I ended up having to get the background cut a bit shorter and once I did that it became much easier to work with. Still need to find something to hide the filter on the side and I bought a hand saw to cut the canopy. And of course i need to figure out what to do about the door...So that still needs to be done.

Just put the fish in their new home not 30 minutes ago. I'll get more pics in a few days with the lights on, want to keep them off a few days after I stressed them enough chasing after them with a net.

Last edited by Passionfish on Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: embed image

Aqualoon User avatar
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I couldn't wait...they were looking so nice I had to take a quick video.

https://youtu.be/0Y7xPMhfGs8

And tried to take some close ups...

Level 20 Member

Tropheus look great.
Like a complete unknown

Next

Return to Photography & Video