Board index Aquaria Topics Plants Crypts/Anubias

Crypts/Anubias

All things flora.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 am
Bob1 Level 6 Member
Level 6 Member

Has anyone ever tried growing Crypts and Anubias with the leaves above water? I believe they grow this way in the wild.

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:25 am
checkie_check Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

I have grown anubias above water before. It was still pretty moist because it was still in a tank half filled with water and covered. I did this because algae was growing on it. Also i found it to grow faster out of water as well. Growing anubias out of water was easy for me. I had it on a piece of driftwood already, so I just set it on the gravel above the water line.

For the crypts, i unintentionally grew them out of water. A piece got caught in the driftwood that was near the surface. and it just kind of grew there. But it was small. i forgot what happened to it. but i don't have much knowledge of growing crypts above water. Doesn't seems hard though.

But in the end, i think its possible and not hard as long as you make sure they don't dry out.

Post Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:14 pm
wetFoot User avatar
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have both growing in a 55 ga w/ 4" of water...

Very humid conditions - lid of tank is open 1/4" for air flow

Anubias do very well..

Crypts do pretty well...

Post Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:10 pm
Tvadna Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

When my anubias get too large, they begin to grow out of the water. At this point, they're very close to the lighting and burn easily, even with LEDs which omit little to no heat. I always have to trim them at this point.

Return to Plants