Board index Aquaria Topics Plants Need advice on redoig planted tank to get rid of sand substr

Need advice on redoig planted tank to get rid of sand substr

All things flora.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark K Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

I have a planted tank, 40 breeder with about a million guppies in it. It has some really nice plants in it, but the sand looks like crap. The janitors can't keep up with the crap that grows on the sand. The rest of the tank is great, but the sand looks like doo-doo. I want to remove the sand, that is the easy part. The part I don't know about is how in the heck am I going to replant the roots which I assume are over a foot long. (maybe more) It was hard enough to plant one plant with 6 inch roots when it got pulled out accidentally. I want to replace the sand with course gravel.

Advice?

ROWEBLAST Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member

Mark K wrote:
I have a planted tank, 40 breeder with about a million guppies in it. It has some really nice plants in it, but the sand looks like crap. The janitors can't keep up with the crap that grows on the sand. The rest of the tank is great, but the sand looks like doo-doo. I want to remove the sand, that is the easy part. The part I don't know about is how in the heck am I going to replant the roots which I assume are over a foot long. (maybe more) It was hard enough to plant one plant with 6 inch roots when it got pulled out accidentally. I want to replace the sand with course gravel.

Advice?

You should be good to trim most plant roots to an inch or two for replanting. What plants do you have? If stem types you can literally hack off the entire root system... if swords/crypts at least leave a little bit of root.
The Farm (20): Otos, rummynose, cory pygmaeus, amano shrimp and a lone GBR
Rolling Rocks (10): Cherry shrimp, BB endlers and 2 baby L262 'salt queens'
Mishmash Jungle(28): SS endlers, penguin tetra, cory sterbai, bn pleco

Mark K Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Awesome. Thanks Dan.

Return to Plants