Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Goy my first DOA today

Goy my first DOA today

Rift Lake Cichlids from Lake Malawi, Tanganyika, Victoria, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 am
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

Ordered a few fish from someplace and just picked them up from fed ex. I get home, open the box all happy and sassy, look down and there are my new wc ink fin calvus- belly up! The place i bought them from are being cool about it, but as anyone who has ordered fish knows- doa policy from most importers states that they will replace the fish but won't cover the shipping. That was like $80 or so, this sucks!!! Guess i now know better then to ship fish in this heat. The other fish i ordered were just fine(wc deboisii maswa) Poor Calvus, what a shame!
Last edited by fisher on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more i learn, the more i realize i have alot to learn.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:52 am
Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Sorry to hear.

If heat is an issue, ask shipper to use a cold pack.
Like a complete unknown

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I suggest airport to airport when it gets this hot.. Pick them up soon as they get off the jet. you wont have issues that way.
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:48 pm
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

pleco.odball.fan wrote:
I suggest airport to airport when it gets this hot.. Pick them up soon as they get off the jet. you wont have issues that way.

Of all the wild fish i've had shipped this is the only time i've/they used fed ex, every other time has always been an airport run. Kind of liked only driving three miles to pick up my fish, felt a little spoiled. I think overnight would be ok if it wasn't so darn hot out. I'm going to have them waite a few weeks before they send my replacements, a nice 75 degree day or something.

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:04 pm
jason User avatar
Level 11 Member
Level 11 Member

have them send it airport to airport its going to be about the same you pay how much by the weight
upper midwest victorian preservist

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:11 pm
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

jason wrote:
have them send it airport to airport its going to be about the same you pay how much by the weight

Probably even a little cheaper but this guy will only ship fed ex because he lives like three hours from the airport or something like that, or so he said. I like the airport better myself, at least you know where your fish are when they get off the plane. You can turn on the ac or the heater to produce a comfortable climate for them instead of sitting in the back of a roasting or freezing truck with eight other stops before they get to yours. Next best thing- wait to ship until the weather cools a little i guess. I don't know, i'm greaving, it's a process.
Last edited by fisher on Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:01 pm
cnrohyes User avatar
Level 10 Member
Level 10 Member

I think you're gonna be waiting a lot more than a couple weeks for a 75 degree day.

I'm curious as to why it cost $80 for Fed-Ex, unless it was a huge order they have a $30 flat rate box for business accounts that could more than accomodate a small group of Calvus. Who did you order from?

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:17 pm
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

cnrohyes wrote:
I think you're gonna be waiting a lot more than a couple weeks for a 75 degree day.

I'm curious as to why it cost $80 for Fed-Ex, unless it was a huge order they have a $30 flat rate box for business accounts that could more than accomodate a small group of Calvus. Who did you order from?

I thought it was kinda high buck myself. I did however have 15 wild maswa deboisii and the wild calvus all in one very big box, it WAS pretty heavy i guess. I couldn't put it on my front seat of my silverado. He had them in 7 bags, three fish each for the trophs and the calvus were in there own bag.(4) Like i said earlier, up until now i've only made airport runs. He sent me an invoice and i paypaled it, i don't know. I'd rather not throw him under the bus and mention his name, hope you understand. And yeah, be a couple months before i ship the way this weather's going, unbelievable huh?

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 am
A+ Tropical Fish User avatar
Level 7 Member
Level 7 Member

I charge $65 next day ups for a half box.. Im suprised at the high shipping price your supplier charged. sounds like hes maiking some change on shipping too. many vendors do that.
Last edited by A+ Tropical Fish on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A+ Tropical Fish and Maintenance
Phone: (763)222-5457
Email: pleco.predatory.oddball.keeper@gmail.com

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 pm
fisher User avatar
Level 5 Member
Level 5 Member

pleco.odball.fan wrote:
I charge $65 next day for a half box.. Im suprised at the high shipping price your supplier charged. sounds like hes maiking some change on shipping too. many vendors do that.

That's about the average that i've paid from southwest the dozen or so times i've used them. And they are usually larger orders. I figured for a couple extra bucks i wouldn't have to deal with 494 at 2-3 in the afternoon when most of my shipments have arrived. I know i've overpaid shippng a FEW times through various importers but most have been pretty reasonable. Southwest kind of is what it is, you pay the shipping on the spot. I guess i shouldn't make that big of a deal about it, i ordered the trophs and the calvus were just added on for a few extra bucks. But it still sucks i have to pay more to ship my replacements, even though it will be a little cheaper with the smaller box. I think i might need a hug. :cry: haaa ha ha

Return to Old World Cichlids