Board index Fish Talk Old World Cichlids Msobo Magunga vs Labidochromis Caeruleus?

Msobo Magunga vs Labidochromis Caeruleus?

Rift Lake Cichlids from Lake Malawi, Tanganyika, Victoria, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Post Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:06 am
twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Hi,

I'm new to the cichlid hobby. How do I tell the difference between a female Msobo Magunga and a yellow lab?

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Admit that being new may sometimes lead to confusion. Take time to view each species and then compare.
These two fish do not look alike. Take a look at this images to see differences.
1. Most obvious is color. One is yellow and other is orange. One has black dorsal fin and other does not.
2. Body shape, specifically head
3. Mouth shape
4. Teeth
5. Behavior is also different
There are many more characters that are different but these are easy to see.

and

vs

Like a complete unknown

twinsfan Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member

Thanks! From their heads I can now tell that they look very different. At the LFS, I couldn't make out the difference between orange and yellow.

Passionfish Level 20 Member
Level 20 Member

Check stock at LFS carefully to be sure the fish is what the store claims it is.
Like a complete unknown

Mutch Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Passionfish wrote:
Admit that being new may sometimes lead to confusion. Take time to view each species and then compare.
These two fish do not look alike. Take a look at this images to see differences.
1. Most obvious is color. One is yellow and other is orange. One has black dorsal fin and other does not.
3. Mouth shape
4. Teeth
There are many more characters that are different follixin reviews but these are easy to see.

and

vs

Thanks Passionfish, they look very similar until you realize they're actually very different!

Relfred Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member

Passionfish wrote:
1. Most obvious is color. One is yellow and other is orange. v tight gel review One has black dorsal fin and other does not.
3. Mouth shape
4. Teeth
There are many more characters that are different but these are easy to see.

and

vs

OMG in love with yellow color :)

Return to Old World Cichlids